Insertion Point During video play
Maximum ad display duration 1. 5-15 seconds
Click Event Click or rollover on overlay expands to auto-initiated video, interactive
ad, or takes user to advertiser’s site.
Overlay Ad Sizes Publishers should accept at least one of the following overlay ad sizes:
It is important to note that this is a minimum consideration set and that
other ad sizes may also be offered by a publisher in addition to at least
one of the listed sizes.
The overlay ad should not be more than 1/5 of the height of the player.
Video file technical
specifications (if video is
used for overlay ad)
1. Bit rates: Greater than 2Mbps
2. Resolution (in pixels): 640x480 preferred; 400x300 minimum; these
dimensions may be adapted to accommodate wide screen videos
3. Color depth: 32-bit
4. Key frames: every 1 second
5. Frame rate: At least 15 frames per second
6. Recommended codecs for video asset submission: MPEG2, WMV,
Non-video file formats Publishers should accept at least one of the following: jpeg, png, swf
(Adobe Flash), xap (Microsoft Silverlight)
Maximum file size 100k
Audio No audio allowed in overlay invitation unit; once full ad expands or
begins audio should be host-initiated
Opacity Text and image – 100% opaque; background – 70% maximum
Animation For animated overlay ad units, publishers may allow an extra 20
additional vertical pixels (beyond the 1/5 limit) that can be used
sparingly by the advertisers to enhance the ad message, such as for
drop shadows, flying sparks, etc.
Non-Linear Video Overlay Ad Best Practices for Publishers
1. Publishers should include a persistent close button in the upper right corner of the overlay ad unit.
2. Publisher should clearly use overlay labels to identify unit as “Advertisement” within frame or next
to overlay unit.
3. The ad is most commonly presented anchored to bottom of player, but may be anchored along
the top or side of player at the publisher’s discretion.